Sustainability Areas of Focus
Operations and Financial Risk Management
We operate our business with integrity and manage financial risk.
We support organizations that make a difference in the communities where we live and work and promote social opportunity.
We create a welcoming, rewarding and safe place to work and build a career.
We manage environmental risk and operate sustainably.
AFG is committed to a workplace where all employees feel included, empowered, and enabled to perform their best and where Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) are recognized as essential to our ongoing success.
- We offer training opportunities that encourage our employees to build careers in insurance and develop professional skills that enhance their performance and positively impact our customers and our business.
- Tuition reimbursement programs, financial incentives, and a full suite of personal and professional learning opportunities have helped us develop a culture in which learning is valued and rewarded.
- Annually, our internal Great American University provides more than 150 learning opportunities focused on the insurance business, communication, inclusion, leadership, technology, and personal development.
- Our investment in professional development is one of many reasons we believe our average employee tenure exceeds industry averages.
Health and Wellness
- We provide a competitive benefits package that includes an extensive wellness program.
- We offer on-site fitness centers at many of our locations, financial incentives for taking care of one’s health, and health management programs to increase employees’ engagement with their healthcare providers.
- We were early adopters of consumer-driven healthcare, and we support employee empowerment with regard to healthcare.
- We maintain competitive and equitable pay by conducting regular market comparisons.
- We offer an employee stock purchase program, a retirement savings plan with matching employer contributions, and Company-wide profit- sharing programs.
- Our employees also have access to professional investment and retirement planning advisors to help prepare for their financial future.
- 96% - Employees participating in our Retirement and Savings Program or 401(k) plan.
Employee Retention and Promotion
- At AFG, we strive to attract a diverse workforce with exceptional people who can grow their careers with us.
- Our efforts at investing in the talent and capabilities of our employees help us retain the best workforce.
- Our employee turnover rate, including voluntary and involuntary turnover, was 11.4% in 2022.
- Employee turnover has created opportunities for others to advance. Our track record of growing careers is evidenced by the average employee tenure at the Company of 10.5 years.
- AFG’s succession planning assesses the future leadership needs of the Company to ensure talent plans are in place to meet the Company’s short- and long-term business objectives.
- The dynamic, ongoing succession planning process includes the identification of critical roles within the Company and potential successors who have the skills and experience to assume increased leadership responsibilities.